[geolstu-list] FW: NSF Ocean Science REU at California State University, Monterey Bay

Naehr, Thomas Thomas.Naehr at tamucc.edu
Thu Feb 13 10:23:44 CST 2014

THE place to go if you are interested in marine geology…

Begin forwarded message:

From: Corey Garza <cogarza at csumb.edu<mailto:cogarza at csumb.edu>>
Date: February 12, 2014 at 9:25:20 PM EST
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: NSF Ocean Science REU at California State University, Monterey Bay

Dear Colleagues,

I am enlisting your assistance in advertising a new Ocean Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program at California State University, Monterey Bay. I received word on Monday that a proposal I submitted to NSF to host the program was selected for funding. We will host our first cohort of students this upcoming summer.

Students in this new program can choose to conduct Ocean Science research in Monterey Bay in the following areas (the list of research topics within each area is not exhaustive):

Marine Biology and Ecology (includes population ecology, kelp forest ecology, marine landscape ecology, marine microbiology, population genetics, ecophysiology and biomechanics)

Ocean Engineering (includes ocean robotics, autonomous underwater vehicle design, artificial intelligence, computer programming, scientific instrumentation development)

Oceanography (includes ocean current modeling, deep sea population ecology, ocean acidification, trace metal analysis and plankton ecology)

Marine Geology (includes deep sea canyon formation, coastal hydrology, seafloor mapping, hydrothermal vent dynamics, coastal erosion, plate tectonics and marine biogeochemistry)

In addition to electing to work with mentors at CSU Monterey Bay students can also elect to work with mentors at our Monterey Bay area REU partner institutions. These include:

Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve
Hopkins Marine Station of Stanford University
Moss Landing Marine Labs
Naval Postgraduate School

Students will be provided with a stipend in addition to support for travel, room and board. Students will also receive post REU support to attend conferences and support in applying to subsequent REU programs or graduate programs. The application portal for the program will open this Friday, February 14th and close on March 14th. The summer program will run from June 9th to August 15th. I wanted to provide notification of the program in advance of the opening of the application portal in case you know of any students who would be interested in this type of research experience.

We especially encourage applications from student groups historically underrepresented in the Ocean Sciences and students from institutions where research opportunities are limited (Junior/Community Colleges, Tribal Colleges, HBCUs and HSIs).

Please feel free to have your students contact me directly by email (cogarza at csumb.edu<mailto:cogarza at csumb.edu>) or phone (831-582-3024<tel:%28831-582-3024>) if they have any questions. They can also send questions to our REU email account (reu at csumb.edu<mailto:reu at csumb.edu>). We are able to take up to 12 students this summer and in subsequent summers. I have attached a flyer that provides additional information (program URL, etc...) but if you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you for your assistance and hope everyone is doing well.

Corey
--
Corey Garza, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor